Don’t worry, this isn’t about the new guy in charge over on the other side of the Atlantic it’s about something far more important than that. Me.
So as you all know by now, I’m off to pastures new. I’ll be leaving GOA on Friday and getting everything packed up to go to Germany next week. Over the past five years at GOA, I’ve filled a variety of roles and experienced some real highs and lows along the way. There have been disasters and triumphs and each of them has taught me something new and important. I would have learned a lot of those lessons in a different way if I’d had the choice but, you take what you’re given and make the best of it.
A lot of people have asked me for inside dirt and, while there are a lot of bodies buried in the past, I’m going to leave them there. There are times and places for that kind of thing and unless you’re buying the drinks you probably won’t get to hear about it.
There is something that I do want to air in public however and that is a heartfelt shout-out to some of the people who really deserve a lot of credit for the roles they played in the communities of both DAoC and WAR. All of these people made my job either easier or significantly more pleasant. I’m not going to include my colleagues at GOA or comrades-in-arms over at Mythic in this (although there are certainly a lot of those who deserve just as much credit) as this is mostly about the players and the guys within the community, I’m also going to apologise in advance if I missed anyone out, my memory is notoriously leaky and is mostly filled with useless facts rather than actually important stuff. So here they are in no particular order, my community heroes:
- Garthilk of WHA, could not have tried harder to help us out in building the community for WAR, right from the start of the beta.
- Jupitus of Freddyshouse. As a guild leader of Phoenix Legion and then an admin on FH, he has been a part of our community efforts from the early days of DAoC. The help he has given us is literally incalculable.
- Morg from Only-WAR. A very enthusiastic fansite admin, even though the EU wasn’t really represented in his users, he still came through for us a few times.
- Beibhinn from the VN boards. ❤ ❤ <3!
- Fahran and Cranmer from WAR-RVR. Both of these guys worked hard with us to shape the community for WAR, Fahran in particular was always willing to help out with collaborations.
- Flimgoblin. As a DAoC E&E, then as one of the most enthusiastic beta testers for WAR, his feedback has been instrumental.
- Nate. A DAoC veteran who did a lot of excellent and much appreciated work in the WAR beta, organising events, presenting detailed feedback and generally being a great commentator.
- Arbitrary. Admin of the Book of Grudges blog (which is now being updated again, yay!) Someone who was one of the first bloggers to run an EU centric WAR site and helped a lot with raising the profile of our community work.
- Mehuge, Kroy, Esraymuk and Roo for being major points of feedback in the WAR beta as well as pivotal leaders in the community both before and after launch.
- Svartmetall, Bahumat, Chodax and the rest of the FHOT crew for keeping me smiling.
All of these people and many more that I have inevitably missed through being rubbish deserve my gratitude and a lot of kudos for all that they did and in most cases continue to do.
So one more piece of self indulgence for me for today, we published my Archmage painting guide today on the main site and, jsut as before I have a bunch of photos left over. You can see the rest on my Flickr page.